Dear Parents and Carers,
Following the information released by the Government yesterday, the school are making plans to potentially re open for some age groups on the 1st June.
I don’t have any concrete information to offer you at the moment, but I wanted to reassure everyone that we will always put the safely of the school community first and will try wherever possible to work with families to make these changes manageable.
I will be in touch soon.
We hope you and your children are taking the opportunity to read at home during this time. Although we are currently unable to provide books from school, we hope you are finding the Oxford Owl website useful and that you are taking time to simply enjoy catching up with reading your own books from home. Reading is fundamental in your child’s’ development of language and for broadening their knowledge of words.
Here is a ‘Top Tips’ Poster to give you some guidance.
Also follow the tips below for ‘Younger Readers’ to help develop fluency:
- Follow the words with their finger
- Pre-Teach the vocabulary in the book (focus sounds and sight words are often highlighted at the beginning of the book)
- Practise sight words as a stand alone activity so they learn them by heart
- Re-read the same sentence again
- Ensure the child is interested in the book
- Guide the child by reading aloud alongside them and modelling reading at pace.
- Re-read the book several times. This enables your child to become more familiar with the text and recall words at a greater pace.
Kind regards & we hope to see you back in the classroom soon.
The Slimbridge Team
See the link below to a video from TWEEDY, explaining all about his weekly challenges for the whole family to get involved with. Silly fun for everyone! #tweedysglosschoolgames.