Many of our children now own a smartphone but are they fully aware of how to keep themselves safe from a whole number of online problems?
The following information in the link below aims to help you and your family be more savvy phone users. It talks about real CURRENT issues that crop up everyday in society – such as using ‘messenger’ apps like Snapchat, Instagram, Facebook and Kik. It also touches areas such a cyberbullying, buying things online, sharing personal information as well as the dangers of sexting.
I am sure that for most parents, these issues seem like they belong in secondary school settings, but sadly these are real problems happening right now in primary schools across the country. With more access to the online world and the increases in peer pressure, we really need to help our children find their way through the online world. Please help them not to get lost!
Click on the handy links below to find out more information about staying safe online.
BE SMART ABOUT SMARTPHONES
TACKLING ONLINE PRESSURES
Friday 22nd September is Jeans for Genes Day.
Children can wear jeans to school for a donation of £1.00 which goes towards research into genetic disorders.
Some children in class 5 will be doing a presentation about the cause in the Friday afternoon assembly.
There will also be a whole school cake sale to raise funds for the school.
The last few weeks of the academic year are slowly creeping up on us all.
There are a number of events scheduled for the last few weeks which may apply to you.
These dates are detailed below for your information and are also on our website’s calendar.
- Monday 12th June – Friday 16th June – Year 5 children will be completing Bikeability. This is ongoing all week.
- Monday 12th June – Class 4 to Redwood.
- Wednesday 21st June – SPORT’S DAY – 1:30pm at Slimbridge Recreation Ground
- Friday 23rd June – INSET DAY. Only teachers at school.
- Mon 26th June – Wed 28th June – The Y6s are away at South Cerney on their camping trip.
- Thursday 29th June – STEP UP MORNING. All children will visit their new teachers and classes.
- Friday 30th June – Parents are all invited to their child’s classes for a maths calculation morning from 9 – 10am.
- Wednesday 5th July – Class 5 on a trip to Cheltenham Everyman Theatre.
- Thursday 6th and Friday 7th July – DRAMA CLUB – whole day rehearsals at the Village Hall for The Lion King.
- Tuesday 11th July – THE LION KING – Morning dress rehearsal at the Village Hall and performance to the whole school.
- Wednesday 12th July – THE LION KING – Matinee performance for parents. 1:30pm at the Village Hall
- Thursday 13th July – THE LION KING – Evening performance for parents and family. 6pm at the Village Hall
- Friday 14th July – STEP UP MORNING – all children to visit their new classes. Year 6 to REDNOCK.
*****FRIDAY 21ST JULY – Y6 LEAVER’S ASSEMBLY 1:30PM AT THE VILLAGE HALL.
Childnet has a lot of free advice for parents and carers regarding online safety. The downloadable leaflet below give parents and carers advice about how to talk about the important issues such as:
CONDUCT – Helping children understand the impact that their online activity has on themselves and others.
CONTENT – As parents, carers and teachers, it is our responsibility to ensure that children are accessing appropriate things online. As we know, many websites, games, YouTube videos etc may not be entirely appropriate for children to it really pays to be aware.
CONTACT – Who are your children contacting online? Are they friends or complete strangers?
DO YOU KNOW HOW TO SET UP PARENTAL CONTROLS ON YOUR DEVICES? This is an essential way of ensuring that your children are using websites that are age appropriate.
www.saferinternet.org.uk has some handy tips on how you can do this. Just click on the link below:
On this coming Friday (3rd March) we will be celebrating WORLD BOOK DAY.
Don’t forget to dress up as WALLY!