The last few weeks of the academic year are slowly creeping up on us all.
There are a number of events scheduled for the last few weeks which may apply to you.
These dates are detailed below for your information and are also on our website’s calendar.
- Monday 12th June – Friday 16th June – Year 5 children will be completing Bikeability. This is ongoing all week.
- Monday 12th June – Class 4 to Redwood.
- Wednesday 21st June – SPORT’S DAY – 1:30pm at Slimbridge Recreation Ground
- Friday 23rd June – INSET DAY. Only teachers at school.
- Mon 26th June – Wed 28th June – The Y6s are away at South Cerney on their camping trip.
- Thursday 29th June – STEP UP MORNING. All children will visit their new teachers and classes.
- Friday 30th June – Parents are all invited to their child’s classes for a maths calculation morning from 9 – 10am.
- Wednesday 5th July – Class 5 on a trip to Cheltenham Everyman Theatre.
- Thursday 6th and Friday 7th July – DRAMA CLUB – whole day rehearsals at the Village Hall for The Lion King.
- Tuesday 11th July – THE LION KING – Morning dress rehearsal at the Village Hall and performance to the whole school.
- Wednesday 12th July – THE LION KING – Matinee performance for parents. 1:30pm at the Village Hall
- Thursday 13th July – THE LION KING – Evening performance for parents and family. 6pm at the Village Hall
- Friday 14th July – STEP UP MORNING – all children to visit their new classes. Year 6 to REDNOCK.
*****FRIDAY 21ST JULY – Y6 LEAVER’S ASSEMBLY 1:30PM AT THE VILLAGE HALL.
Childnet has a lot of free advice for parents and carers regarding online safety. The downloadable leaflet below give parents and carers advice about how to talk about the important issues such as:
CONDUCT – Helping children understand the impact that their online activity has on themselves and others.
CONTENT – As parents, carers and teachers, it is our responsibility to ensure that children are accessing appropriate things online. As we know, many websites, games, YouTube videos etc may not be entirely appropriate for children to it really pays to be aware.
CONTACT – Who are your children contacting online? Are they friends or complete strangers?
DO YOU KNOW HOW TO SET UP PARENTAL CONTROLS ON YOUR DEVICES? This is an essential way of ensuring that your children are using websites that are age appropriate.
www.saferinternet.org.uk has some handy tips on how you can do this. Just click on the link below:
On this coming Friday (3rd March) we will be celebrating WORLD BOOK DAY.
Don’t forget to dress up as WALLY!
The children had an amazing time with Annet from World Jungle at the end of last term. She taught them all a fantastic dance which they were able to perform confidently to the rest of the school. Here are some pictures from the day…
Our topic for Term 3 is Dinosaurs! We are excited about the different learning opportunities this topic will provide for the Class.
In Literacy this term we will be writing instructions to care for a baby dinosaur. The children will learn how to write an introduction and conclusion for their instructions and how to use the features of instructions. We will also be reading lots of non-fiction books about dinosaurs and learning about the layout and features of non-fiction texts before creating our own. Our main fiction text will be ‘The Little Green Dinosaur’. We will continue our work on word types, different forms of sentences, and a variety of punctuation. Year 2 children will also begin to use speech marks in their writing.
In Phonics, we will continue to revise and consolidate all the graphemes learned so far, while adding to the alternative graphemes we recognise. The children will continue to practise reading and writing keywords.
Our focus in Computing this term is being able to use the features of a paint program to draw dinosaurs, dinosaur footprints and to make a picture using shapes. Children will create a Poster for the Little Green Dinosaur to help him find his mummy using computer skills learned over the term.
The children will learn about what animals need to survive in Science, and will be able to identify and name a variety of common animals. We will also make observations of seasonal changes.
We are excited to welcome a new Jigsaw character to our Class this Term and in PSHE we will be making sure Jigsaw Jo feels safe and happy in Class 2.
If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to come and find a member of the team.