Our School Council’s initiative this term was to adopt one of the WWT otters.
After some fundraising, we raised enough money to pay for one year’s adoption.
Last week, the School Council members went to the WWT to test out some brand new educational resources and at the same time, purchased the adoption pack. They were very excited – especially about the cuddly otter toy we got as well – another welcome addition to our school!
As a school, we feel really supported by the WWT who are always very generous when we visit them for class trips. The school council felt that we ought to ‘pay it forward’ and support our local environment by adopting one of their many animals. The whole school are interested in adopting a bird from the WWT in the new year, so fundraising will no doubt begin again – but this time with a brand new school council.
This term our focus story is ‘The Gingerbread Man’ and the children are really enjoying learning the story with actions and acting it out. We have lots of exciting activities planned including making up our own versions of the story, baking our own gingerbread men, finding out about what actually happens to gingerbread in water, learning about positional language using gingerbread characters, and making gingerbread men and women from different materials (such as clay and sandpaper) and decorating them… We are looking forward to a fun few weeks!
Friday 22nd September is Jeans for Genes Day.
Children can wear jeans to school for a donation of £1.00 which goes towards research into genetic disorders.
Some children in class 5 will be doing a presentation about the cause in the Friday afternoon assembly.
There will also be a whole school cake sale to raise funds for the school.
A very warm welcome to all our new Reception children and families! We are really enjoying getting to you all. Over the next few weeks in Class 1 our theme will be ‘All About Me’. Activities will include: becoming familiar with the school, classroom and one another; drawing, painting and collaging pictures of themselves and their families; looking for numbers in the environment; singing number songs; reading stories about homes and families; listening to the sounds in words; and recognising and writing their own names. If you have any questions please pop in and have a chat to one of us.
Mrs Mac and Mrs Pearce
The last few weeks of the academic year are slowly creeping up on us all.
There are a number of events scheduled for the last few weeks which may apply to you.
These dates are detailed below for your information and are also on our website’s calendar.
- Monday 12th June – Friday 16th June – Year 5 children will be completing Bikeability. This is ongoing all week.
- Monday 12th June – Class 4 to Redwood.
- Wednesday 21st June – SPORT’S DAY – 1:30pm at Slimbridge Recreation Ground
- Friday 23rd June – INSET DAY. Only teachers at school.
- Mon 26th June – Wed 28th June – The Y6s are away at South Cerney on their camping trip.
- Thursday 29th June – STEP UP MORNING. All children will visit their new teachers and classes.
- Friday 30th June – Parents are all invited to their child’s classes for a maths calculation morning from 9 – 10am.
- Wednesday 5th July – Class 5 on a trip to Cheltenham Everyman Theatre.
- Thursday 6th and Friday 7th July – DRAMA CLUB – whole day rehearsals at the Village Hall for The Lion King.
- Tuesday 11th July – THE LION KING – Morning dress rehearsal at the Village Hall and performance to the whole school.
- Wednesday 12th July – THE LION KING – Matinee performance for parents. 1:30pm at the Village Hall
- Thursday 13th July – THE LION KING – Evening performance for parents and family. 6pm at the Village Hall
- Friday 14th July – STEP UP MORNING – all children to visit their new classes. Year 6 to REDNOCK.
*****FRIDAY 21ST JULY – Y6 LEAVER’S ASSEMBLY 1:30PM AT THE VILLAGE HALL.